this week was a tough week. I was on the road almost the whole week. And in addition I got sick on Monday. Unfortunately I couldn’t stay home and cure it out, because there was this conference I had to attend to. So I went to Frankfurt on Monday and hauled myself over the next 2 days until I felt a little better. Needless to say, I didn’t have the mind to think about this weeks picture until it was almost too late. So it was already Friday afternoon and I had no idea what to do for this weeks picture. I almost felt like my creativity abandoned me. So I almost decided to come back to one of my earlier ideas (of course I have some back up ideas up my sleeve, what do you think ;-) ) when it suddenly hit me.
The one thing I planned to use for this weeks picture were my colored rogue gels, as I didn’t use them for some time now. I use the warming or cooling gels pretty frequently now, but not the colored ones. To be clear, I LOVE the colored gels so much. They really make awesome colors and if you use it right, it will add this little something to your pictures. But for most of my recent pictures I didn’t want to have such strong colored light, as it just didn’t seem to fit in properly. So the one thing I definitely wanted to do for this week, was to use one of my color gels. As I told you last week, I got myself a nice little NAS. So on Friday night, I had nothing better to do than to play around with it, shoveling some data from my PC over (yes you heard right, I’m using a PC!) and thinking about what to do for this week’s picture. And as it always is with this mystical creative process, the idea suddenly emerged from the depth of my brain. I think it was there all along, floating right out of sight. It just waited for the exact right moment to surface. I have to admit. When I started with this project 5 weeks ago, one of my biggest concerns was, to not have an proper idea every week. But right now, this whole process of generating new ideas, is what I enjoy the most. It almost feels like discovering something new every week, without knowing where to go and where to start. But I’m babbling again. This should not be the topic here. Maybe I will make it a own post someday when I have a better understanding about what I’m doing here ;-).
So with the rough idea and the thought that I definitely wanted to use my color gels, I decided to try making a nice colored backdrop for this portrait. This brought me to the next problem, as I don’t have a snoot or something similar with which I could make a round backdrop without to much light spilling on the foreground. So I just grabbed an old box, scissors and duct tape and improvised. I still isn’t perfectly round, but for an improvised solution it works quite well I think. For the model lighting I used one strobe through an umbrella cam right. As rimlight I used my softbox behind me on the left-hand side. In the end, I ended up replacing the backdrop I made with a shopped one, because I had so much spill light from the umbrella interfering, that the color was to pale for my taste. But Ok.. that’s the way it sometimes goes. You have to stay flexible.
So long – Florian